Friday, November 22, 2013

Kindergarten- Geometric Shape Abstracts!

Kindergarten learned two things from their math Common Core standards during this lesson. One was geometric shapes, and the other was position words (over, under, next to, etc.). We started the lesson by learning about geometeric shapes and practiced drawing the shapes on my class set of dry erase boards. Then, I had the students work in pairs to sort foam shapes into categories based on the shape. The next day I handed everyone a sheet of white paper. I had a list of instructions that included position words and geometric shapes. I read the instructions step-by-step and the children drew the shapes on their papers with crayon in the right positions, changing crayon colors after every step. Before doing this I practiced the position words with them by having them place their hand on different parts of their bodies based on the positions ( hand on top of your head, hand under your leg, etc.)



They ended up looking very abstract. The next class I taught the students how to do a watercolor resist on top of their drawing. They were impressed that the crayon still showed through the paint! I let them paint them however they wanted as long as they were colorful and all the white spaces were covered.











No comments:

Post a Comment