Friday, November 22, 2013

2nd Grade- Shapes and Patterns!

2nd grade finally got to start their next project after spending such a long time on their line weavings! I got this project idea from a mentor teacher from my internship: Adventures in Elementary Art . We began the lesson by learning about geomentric shapes and drawing them on the board. I had the students choose 5 shapes to use for their project. They had to draw all 5 shapes overlapping each other. I pointed out that when the shapes overlapped, a new shape was made. They had to make sure the shapes were big enough to draw in later.


Then, we talked about patterns. The students told me about different types of patterns and examples of where they see patterns in real life. I told the students to fill in each shape (even the new ones created by overlapping) with the coolest and most creative patterns they could come up with. They used colored pencils and had to make it as colorful as possible and fill in all the white space.



The last step was to cut the entire shape out and glue it on a piece of colored construction paper. I was impressed with the amount of detail and color in the patterns!
















No comments:

Post a Comment