Thursday, April 17, 2014

1st Grade- Family Quilts!

During February, I wanted students to learn about Black History and an African-American artist. We began the unit by learning about Black History and discussing slavery and how far we have come since then.
I read the book Tar Beach by Faith Ringgold to the students and showed them artwork by her. We talked about her  quilts and how art doesn't just have to be a painting, drawing or sculpture. 
For the first step the students glued down squares of scrapbook paper that I had pre-cut for them around the edges of their paper to create a border like on a quilt. 



Then I had them think of a special story or memory about their family. They had to illustrate the memory in the middle of their "quilt". I loved how cute and personal they are! 

                    


                    

No comments:

Post a Comment